Monday, September 15, 2008

Who Wants to Come Visit Now ?




Have you ever been awakened around 4 in the morning by cat noises and a barking dog? Well, if you answered yes, I think I still have you beat. A few days ago, this was the beginning of the story. Jeremy got up and went downstairs to see if he could get our dog, Gypsy (a small little Jack Russell Terrier), to quit barking. We have many stray cats in the canyon and we assumed one had come to close to her territory and she was barking it away, or had it treed. He opened the front door just as Gypsy ran from the house to underneath the Yukon that I drive. Through his soon-to-be-very-awake eyes he sees a cougar, otherwise known as a mountain lion, sitting fifteen feet from the front door on our concrete walk. It just sat there and looked at him. He beat on the door and the front of the house, I specifically remember the words, "GET OUT OF HERE!" The lion slowly walked away disappointed that breakfast had been interrupted. Needless to say, none of us went back to sleep. Nor have we enjoyed the cool night air out on our patio since. Jeremy went on a pretty intense lion hunt that day with some government trappers we called in. Nothing was killed but we hope the hounds pushed it far enough away that it won't be visiting our front porch again anytime soon! Can you believe that? And I'm supposed to send my children to the bus stop? We've always known they are here and it's comforting to know that no one in the history of Utah has ever died from a mountain lion but I hope this is the only story I'll ever tell like this. Jeremy has lived here all of his life and has seen lions out in nature before, but never on his front porch trying to eat his dog. So with that said, who's coming to visit?

3 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Just passing through.

I love to hike the desert of Utah and have luckily never had an encounter with a mountain lion. I did get pretty close to a bear once (unbeknownst to me at first) but I did live to blog about the adventure.

JoAnn said...

This is funny Betty but only because it's your story and not mine! Your poor little dog and I'm sure you were pretty nervous too.

Heather said...

That is scary! In retrospect I'm glad you are all okay. Thank goodness for that little dog of yours, they can be a blessing sometimes.
Heather